New math unit: Shapes

Charlottes Web: 
Reader Response/Novel Study
Today we re-read chapter 4: Loneliness. We listened to a voice recording of the chapter and followed along in our own book. We are so lucky that Mrs. Azam was able to find 40 copies of the book. It can be very powerful to follow along while listening to a story. Today we practiced making sure we were on the same part of the book and summarizing the most important parts of the chapter. 





Why is Wilbur feeling lonely? 




MATH

Shapes

How do we know that a Square is a square?
How we know that a Rectangle is a rectangle?

This may appear to be a simplistic question, but upon delving beyond the recognition of shapes, our students are learning about; 

HOW to draw/see a straight line, a connection between two points
HOW to draw/see curved lines
What is a corner, an angle?
WHAT is length, how do we measure?
WHAT is perimeter? HOw can we use addition, even multiplication to compute this?
Here are some of the rules that students came up with:




In groups we used blocks or Cuisennaire rods which are manipulative units attached in different lengths such a 1,2, 5, 10, 20. Students were challenged to build the largest rectangle possible using all of our materials. Then students were also challenged to try to build the 2 largest possible rectangles with the same amount of materials.

Ask me what I noticed about my materials and how I knew how to build a rectangle? Did I notice anything about the materials that I was using that made it challenging to build a perfect rectangle? 







GYM
We have finished Mission Impossible!!! IT was so much fun. Ask me which obstacles I found the most difficult and why? Ask me what I had to do to get through each obstacle? 








Social Studies: 
Peggy's Cove and Meteghan, Nova Scotia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYezhr-C21Y

Nova Scotia: Halifax, Peggy's Cove and Meteghan

We started discovery centres about Nova Scotia. We looked at pictures, books, maps and flags that have something to do Nova Scotia and specific areas such as Halifax, Peggy's Cove and Meteghan. We used our sketch books to ask questions, be curious, sketch and write:
  • I see
  • I think
  • I wonder 

Ask me which 4 centres I have investigated. We also watched a video of Peggy's Point/Peggy's Cove lighthouse. This link has videos of many famous lighthouses in Nova Scotia. Why might a lighthouse be a symbol of Nova Scotia?
Image result for peggys cove

http://nokaoidroneguys.wixsite.com/nokaoidroneguys/nova-scotia-lighthouse-project-jd6kd

Instructional Writing/How to Writing
Today we continued looking at important TEXT FEATURES that can make our Instructional Writing more interesting. We looked at how to make a mind map and how much more fun it is to look at writing that uses these features. 



We looked at using mind maps and charts in order to organize our writing and make our writing more interesting and exciting!

Science

Today we made a mind map about Magnets. We wrote all of the things "I think I know" about magnets. We were also challenged to think about "what I think magnets might be for or what they can do?". 




Comments